View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Reddy Heater R150A 

I have a used Reddy Heater Model R150A and it starts up and runs for about 5 minutes then the safety control pops and it shuts down. I have to wait about a minute then I can push the safety control button back in and it starts back up and runs and again, stays running for 5 minutes and shuts off. This cycle continues with no change.

I have removed the motor and cleaned it up. Removed the pump and set the gap for the rotor (.004"), I clipped all the ends and created new wire to twist together for all connections. I cleaned the flame sensor and read it out with a meter and it changes in value when in light and in dark. The fuel cap is vented and only has one gasket in it. I have not done anything with the igniter at all, but the heater creates great heat for the 5 minutes before it shuts down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

December 23rd, 2010, 10:42 pm

Scott this sounds like a bad safety control unit, you can test the Photo Cell to make sure that is not the problem by running a jumper wire between where the White and Blue wire connect although I don't think that is the problem because the unit is running fine for 5 minutes and you are also getting a reading from the photo cell, but I would still try this first.

If the unit still shuts downs after 5 minutes you can wire the safety control and photo cell out of the system "JUST TO TEST" the unit and see if it will then run.

Take both the safety control and photo cell out of the system and then connect the Black wire from the power cord to the Red wires from the Igniter, Motor and Motor Relay together.
Then connect the White from power cord to the motor and Igniter lead.

You should now be able to run the unit in a "TEST" mode to see if this takes care of the unit shutting down in 5 minutes.

If this solves the problem then replace the PP203 Safety Control.

You can order the part at http://www.allpartsinc.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=pp203

December 25th, 2010, 7:00 am

MACMS,
I followed the procedure you suggested to TEST the safety control in the heater. I ran the heater with the safety control and photo diode out of the system and it ran for about 10-20 minutes so I just shut it down figuring that the safety control was the problem as you suggested. Left it alone and planned on ordering the parts to fix it.
The next morning, my brother in law ran the heater for about 2-3 minutes and it flamed out and the motor kept running and it was just blowing unburned fuel out the front. So my question is....
Can a nozzle that is worn out cause this? The spark plug fires well, we cleaned it and also looked at the nozzle and it still has the little screen in the center of it to help create the fogging of the fuel.
How can we tell when the nozzle is workn out and in need of replacement? I don't want to randomly throw money at this heater. I would like to identify what is bad and replair it and get it working.

Thanks for the assistance, I really appreciate it.

Scott

January 17th, 2011, 8:26 pm

I would want to know if the nose cone is getting a nice glowing orange when the unit shuts down or in the nose cone is dark in color.

The unit just blowing fuel can be from the output air filter being dirty or the fuel pick up filter being dirty.
It sounds like the unit has a fuel delivery problem.

The unit has to have the correct pump pressure and with a unit this old you will probably need to run the pump pressure a little bit higher than when it was new.

You may want to call tech service at 1-800-475-5660 extension 224.

January 17th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. Here is a list of what I have done to the unit so far.

1. Installed new back cover, with new pressure gauge plug and adjustment screw with new spring and ball bearing.
2. Installed new intake and output filters and also the little lint filter.
3. Installed new fuel filter in fuel line. (came as part of the filter kit).
4. Removed and diassembled motor and cleaned all moving parts and reassembled. Runs perfect.
5. Cleaned photo diode and reinstalled.
6. Trimmed off all old ends and stripped all wires for a fresh connection.
7. Cleaned nozzle and checked for obstructions. None noted and screen is still in nozzle. (how can I check for the need of a new nozzle?)

The heater, when running, makes the nose cone glow nice and red about 2 inches in all around the cone so it has a 2 inch red ring. I ran the heater with the cover off to see what it would do, and it ran without cutting off, but caused flames to shoot out all around the ring. I assumed that was from not having correct airflow.

I have the desa pressure gauge installed in the back cover and have run it at 5psi, and have adjusted it from 4.5 psi to 6 psi to just see where it runs the best and it still shuts off at various times.

When the unit flamed out last week, the motor kept running and that caused the airpump to keep pulling fuel into the chamber hense the blowing smoke. I have cleaned the plug and everything, but since it was running in the TEST motor that you suggested we try, I was just wondering why it would have flamed out like that?

I appreciate your assistance and look forward to your reply. I am going to hook everything back up as it is designed today and see what we come up with.

Scott

January 22nd, 2011, 9:24 am

Update on my heater. I hooked everything up as specified, and it ran for about 1.5 hours and then shut down. It would start back up after a 2-3 minute cooldown and run for 10-20 minutes and then shut off.

Not sure what is going on. Fuel pressure is a steady 5 psi. I adjusted it up to 6.5 psi and it made no difference. Could the safety control be going bad?

January 23rd, 2011, 10:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]