View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Ventless gas heater/log puts off horrible fumes and gives us 

Hello. I have a Comfort glow VENT-FREE NATURAL GAS
RADIANT FLAMEĀ® HEATER model RFN30T with a fake log. It is about 7 or 8 years old. I have never liked it since it was new cause I have a sensitive respiratory system and it made me feel short of breath. This was well after we did the initial break in or burn in of the log and heater. My family was not bothered by it when it was new but now it puts off fumes and makes us all feel ill within a few minutes and gives us a headache. I suspect it had a problem from new and we just never realized it for sure. We have carbon monoxide detectors and it does not set them off. The heater sets inside a small wood mantel freestanding fireplace. I have made sure the heater is very clean and vacuumed out and I took it out of the mantel and took it outside and blew it out well with air compressor. I have checked well for gas leaks. There is nothing new in the house, no new carpet or anything that would put off particles in the air etc. The flame is a normal blue color. I was thru with ventless gas heaters until recently when I visited a home that had 2 large blueflame ventless natural gas heaters similar to my heater but no fake log. There house was very warm and no odor and there heaters did not make me feel sensitive or short of breath like mine did when it was new. My house is an old brick house with no insulation in the walls so it is not to airtight and the heater was being used in a very large kitchen with several open doorways to other parts of the house. Within 5 minutes of operation you can strongly smell fumes, yuck! I know the company is out of business and am ready to just trash it and get a new one. Is it worth having looked at or sending off for repir if I could even find anyone who would touch it or would it just be better to replace it? A replacement is not cheap! I am mechanical and open to ideas on repair myself if indicated or if anyone has a suggestion on who to contact for repair, or if trashing it is indicated. I tried to attach the manual for the heater but it said: The attachment pdf is not allowed. You can email me directly for it if needed, twoshoes@insightbb.com Thank you, and Happy New Year.

January 2nd, 2011, 5:01 pm

You need to determine if the fumes are coming from the fireplace unit or just from the logs.

Remove the logs from the unit and run the heater.

You do not needs the logs in the heater to use the unit.

I would test it this way and see what your results are.

January 3rd, 2011, 12:04 pm
Profile WWW

Yes I had already tried to run it without the log and same fumes. Thanks for your reply.

January 3rd, 2011, 9:32 pm

Typically a smell or order like this would come from the gas pressure being to low. I would suggest checking the outlet gas pressure from the regulator to the main gas valve.

With the age of this unit it may be hard to find the parts for the unit any longer.

You may also want to make sure the pilot is clean.

http://www.msservice.net/ts/reseat_ther ... ot-ODS.htm

January 3rd, 2011, 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]